- Frame - 11.25" x 11.25" (Width x Height)
- Beetle - 4.5" x 4" (Width x Height)
- Beetle: Bell metal, an alloy of nickel, brass and zinc.
- Frame: Double-mounting on silk fabric encased in an outer frame.
Metal beetle, hand-cast using the traditional dokra metal craft, mounted on a background of silk fabric and then framed.
Dokra metal craft is an ancient craft that uses the lost-wax casting technique. Dokra metal craft is primarily from three regions: West Bengal, Odisha and Jaharkhand.
Each beetle goes through several stages of making.
- First, blocks of wax are hand-moulded into shape, and decorations added using wax threads.
- The shape is then carefully covered with layers of clay, taking the form of the wax on the inside.
- The clay is baked, during which the wax melts and drains away, leaving a mould (a hollow within the clay).
- The mould is then filled with molten metal, which takes the shape that the wax left behind.
- The clay is then chipped off and the dragonfly is polished and finished.
Each beetle needs to be made separately, and will never be exactly the same as any others. This is the mark of a true handmade item.
Comes with a hook attached at the back.
Timelines for dispatch
4 working days
5 to 7 days from date of dispatch